This does not mean these books aren’t great, some are and some aren’t, but in general they are nowhere near as great as most people think.
1. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Big deal, Holden saw a bad word, this does not make a great novel.
2. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
Movie of the week story plus mean to Oprah equals overrated Novel.
3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
If you have to read a Bronte, you’re better off with Charlotte.
4. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The male version of Little Women (which also made this list.)
5. Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a work of genius – sorry about that Tom, but I blame you for everything. You will also be on my list of the most evil characters in all of Literature.
6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
See Lord of the Flies above – same exact novel – really.
7. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
This is not fair and I feel bad for even putting it on the list.